With cold winter weather already entering the region, it’s time to take a close look at your home. The decisions you make now will go a long way in ensuring that your home doesn’t sustain any damage over the winter season.
Here are three things you absolutely need to do:
1. Protect Your Pipes
If water freezes and expands inside your pipes, there’s a chance it could lead to a crack and massive leak. Here are a few things you can do to winterize your pipes:
· Drain water from all outdoor faucets
· Disconnect outdoor hoses and cover them with a foam insulator
· Protect water pipes in any unheated areas of your home, such as a garage or basement
2. Inspect Your Heat Source
You expect to use your heat quite a bit during the winter season. For this reason, inspect your heat source, such as your furnace, for safety.
For example, you’ll want to change your furnace filter at the beginning of the season.
If you don’t know what you’re looking at, hire a professional to visit your home and check everything out. This is the best way to get the peace of mind you deserve.
3. Watch for Ice Dams
For example, ice dams often form in your gutters and the eaves of your roof. While those icicles look pretty at first, they can cause quite a bit of damage.
Here are some steps for preventing trouble:
· Inspect your gutters to ensure that they’re functioning properly (and not clogged)
· Seal any areas where water may be able to enter your home, such as around chimneys and exhaust fans
By taking these three steps, you can be sure that your home is more ready for winter weather this year.
Pond Roofing is an award-winning roofing contractor in Fairfax, VA. We specialize in roofing, siding, window replacement, and door replacement in Fairfax and Arlington, VA. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google.