It’s easy to assume that a concrete driveway will stand up to anything you throw its way, however, this is not always the case. In fact, there are many things that can cause damage to concrete.
Here are five things that could be ruining your concrete driveway (often without you realizing what’s going on):
· Heavy load. From an RV to a construction vehicle to a dumpster, a heavy load can put extreme pressure on your driveway, thus leading to cracking, sinking, and other types of damage.
· Rock salt. If you use rock salt during the winter months, it has the potential to eat away at the concrete. Protect against this by purchasing a product that is safe for concrete.
· Shoveling. You may find yourself shoveling quite a bit as the snow falls, but you need to watch what you’re doing. If you continue to scrape a metal shovel blade against the surface, it can cause damage.
· Tree roots. Is your driveway in close proximity to larger trees? If so, the roots can begin to push toward the surface, thus heaving your concrete.
· Poor installation. If you’re paying for a concrete driveway, make sure you hire a professional who knows exactly what they’re doing. A poor installation job is the fastest way to run into issues.
Pond Roofing is an award-winning roofing contractor in Fairfax, VA. We specialize in roofing, siding, window replacement, and door replacement in Fairfax and Arlington, VA. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google.