If, like many homeowners, you tend to ignore signs of possible exterior home repairs, it’s time to be proactive and inspect your roof and gutters to make sure they can withstand whatever winter has in store.
Here is a checklist of common signs of issues that indicate you need the attention of a professional exterior contractor:
1. Check the ground for shingle granules. Check your roof for cracked or curling shingles.
2. Look over your roof to see if there are any missing shingles that may have blown off.
3. Check your ceilings for signs of water damage. If you notice any bubbles that have formed, in addition to calling a professional roofer, puncture the bubble to allow the water to escape, avoiding a ceiling that may cave in.
4. Your attic should also be checked for signs of water damage. If any signs of water stains are noticeable, call a professional to check out where and why water is entering your home. Water damage is an indication that your roofing system may be compromised.
5. Check your gutters to make sure they have not pulled away from the house. If unattended to, heavy rains may cause water to enter your house because there is no gutter from which the water flows through. If you notice during a downpour that there is a steady stream of water between your house and the gutters, the gutters need to be re-spiked and checked out. Water can cause water to cause leaking through the windows if the gutters are not properly secured.
The exterior of your home provides safety and security for you and your family. Protect your family, home and its possessions by seeking the advice of a professional, experienced contractor who can evaluate the soundness of your home.
Remember, the best roofers are always the busiest roofers so jump on scheduling an estimate before winter arrives.