This has been a relatively mild winter season in Northern Virginia. Hopefully the snow, ice and rain we experienced this week is behind us, and we can look forward to spring weather. As we give thanks for not experiencing a jumbo snowfall, get serious about evaluating how the exterior of your home held up over the winter to make sure it is ready for spring.
If, like many homeowners, you have procrastinated in tending to exterior home repairs that you know needed attention, it is now critical to evaluate your roof, siding and windows before spring wind and rains are upon us.
Here is a checklist of common signs of issues that indicate you need the attention of a professional exterior contractor:
1. Check the ground for shingle granules. Check your roof for cracked or curling shingles.
2. Look over your roof to see if there are any missing shingles that may have blown off.
3. Check your ceilings for signs of water damage. If you notice any bubbles that have formed, in addition to calling a professional roofer, puncture the bubble to allow the water to escape, avoiding a ceiling that may cave in.
4. Your attic should also be checked for signs of water damage. If any signs of water stains are noticeable, call a professional to check out where and why water is entering your home. Water damage is an indication that your roofing system may be compromised.
5. Check your gutters to make sure they have not pulled away from the house. If unattended, heavy rains may cause water to enter your house because there is no gutter from which the water flows through. If you notice during a downpour that there is a steady stream of water between your house and the gutters, the gutters need to be re-spiked and checked out. If the gutters are not properly secured, water can leak through the windows.
6. Check your siding to make sure there are no holes where water can penetrate. Unattended repairs can cause severe water damage that could result in the formation of mold.
7. Check drafts around your windows, as well as blistering paint.
The exterior of your home provides safety and security for you and your family. Protect your family, home and its possessions by seeking the advice of a professional, experienced contractor who can evaluate the soundness of your home.