The second you notice a roof leak is the second you should take action. This isn’t the type of problem that will go away on its own. Instead, it will only get worse if you let it.
Fortunately, once you pinpoint the source of the leak, it’ll be clear as to which type of repair is best.
While no two homes or roof leaks are identical, here are five of the most common causes:
· Age. Roofing materials don’t last forever. Over time, materials will break down, thus increasing the chance of a leak.
· Flashing. These thin strips of metal are an important part of any roof. However, if they are not sealed properly, it’s possible that water could make its way into your home.
· Missing shingles. Even if you have a new roof you could still find that a shingle is missing. For example, a wind storm could knock one or more of these from your roof. Fortunately, once replaced, your problem will typically go away.
· Clogged gutters. With this, water begins to backup in your gutters, thus increasing the likelihood of leaking into your home.
· Skylights. While a skylight offers many benefits, it can also cause a leak if not properly installed. Also, over time, the rubber seal around the frame can break down.
So, there you have it. If your roof is leaking, there’s a good chance that one or more of these problems could be the culprit.
Pond Roofing is an award-winning roofing contractor in Fairfax, VA. We specialize in roofing, siding, window replacement, and door replacement in Fairfax and Arlington, VA. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google.